Sunday, May 18, 2014

Adventures in Mexico!

Yesterday we took a boat ride out to Bird Island, which is also called Isla San Jorge because it is directly across the Sea of Cortez from the city of San Jorge. I got a little queasy on the boat at first but then settled... REALLY settled, I fell asleep! I woke up as we neared the isles, and immediately the smell of bird guano hit me. The island is literally covered from top to bottom in white bird guano, indicative of all the birds that live on and around the isles (hence the name). We also heard the barking of sea lions. Sea lions are sexually dimorphic, with males being larger and having a sagittal crest and females being smaller with no crest. Everyone had a great time and saw some amazing things diving and snorkling. The sea lions would come right up to us and do flips and turns and nibble fins. After we left the isles, a tasty lunch awaited us. Then, it was another 2 hour trip back to shore, during which I wasn't the only one sleeping this time! We went out for pizza (that was honestly better than a lot of places in the states) and came home after a tiring day to sleep. Today, we conquer the Trona salt mines!

No comments:

Post a Comment