Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bird Island Scuba Diving-Blog Post 2

I am a certified open diver but, I have been diving well before I got certified in 2009. Bird island was my first time diving in waters cold enough to require a 7mm suit. I was the most excited and giddy twenty-eight year old. We stopped by the suit rental in town before heading to the port. We boarded our vessel and were on our way to Bird Island, a little over two hours away.
The first dive lasted about thirty minutes. My buddy was Andrew. We made a great team! The sea lions encircled us in playful underwater movements. I would compare them to dogs. I must admit initially I was startled when they would unexpectedly wiz by. I quickly got over my fear because it was clear they were just as curious as I was. 
I was honored by Dr. Bennette and Angie as my dive buddies round two. The echinoderms we spotted got increasingly larger and more colorful. The fish swirled by in small schools. The sea lions continued to play jovially near our vicinity.
I was extremely happy to make new underwater friends. 
The dives didn't last as long as I would have liked due to low visibility but this provided an opportunity for me to steer the boat, captain style!

No comments:

Post a Comment